Associations/Organizations/Non ProfitCommunity ServicesGiving TuesdaySee & Do
Built in 1772, the Shirley Meeting House has served as a place for both town meetings and worship. The appearance of this venerable building has been altered substantially over its long life. The barn-like original structure had no steeple and was located on Shirley Common, near the present-day Civil War monument. Its now familiar bell tower and steeple was added about 1805. Additional remodeling of the interior was done in the 1840s. The building was moved to its present location in 1853, making Shirley Common a pristine example of rural town center planning.