LEOMINSTER — The Leominster Health Department will hold a Free Recycling Event on Saturday, May 21 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Leominster Department of Public Works Yard, 109 Graham St.
The following items will be accepted:
- Bring your old bills, receipts, taxes and paper to shred. Shredded paper will not be accepted.
- Donate your new or gently used household items: Furniture, fixtures, decorative items, cabinets, doors and windows (insulated), building materials, flooring, kitchen and bath fixtures, lighting and electrical, latex paint (full cans only), tools and hardware.
- Gently used and/or broken eyeglasses, new or used non-prescription sunglasses, new or used non-prescription reading glasses and hearing aids.
- If you'd like to donate to the Animal Shelter Inc. of Sterling, it is always in need of cat litter, extra-large heavy duty trash bags, bleach, HE liquid laundry detergent, liquid dish detergent, hand soap, liquid cleansers (no Lysol, please), sponges, paper towels, newspaper (no ads or slick color pages), clean towels, firewood (cut, split and seasoned, please), canned kitten food, dog and cat treats, dog and cat toys, Post-Its, printer paper, medium and large dog crates in good condition, and, of course, monetary donations and/or gas cards are always put to good use.
- Used clean motor oil. (DPW has the right to refuse dirty oil or paint.)
- Used syringes and lancets in puncture-proof containers.
- Tires (maximum of eight tires per household, no metal rims).
- Free item drop-off: Computer towers, laptops, washers, dryers, gas grills (no propane tanks), gas-powered lawn and garden equipment (gas must be drained), air conditioners, dishwashers, stoves ($5 for glass tops), and hot water heaters.
- Items taken for a fee (cash only): TVs and monitors, wood TVs, projection TVs, flat screen/LCD/LED/Plasma TVs, small and large electronics, household appliances, microwave ovens, glass top stoves, wooden items, exercise equipment, electric lawn equipment, copiers and printers, small and large refrigerators, freezers, cardboard, large batteries (no auto) and laptop batteries.
- 2022 Mass Save Dehumidifier Recycling: Receive a $30 rebate from the Mass Save Sponsors by recycling your old, but working, dehumidifier.
The following items will not be accepted: Hazardous waste, medications, bulk plastics, propane tanks, oil-based paint, and auto batteries.
The following items will also be available for purchase: Overflow trash bags for $3, countertop compost bins for $5, outside compost bins for $45 and rain barrels for $65.
Vendors for 2022 include Sterling Animal Shelter, Leominster Department of Public Works, IC Federal Credit Union and New England Security Shredders, Leominster Board of Health, Habitat for Humanity ReStore, Leominster Lions Club, Central Mass Mosquito Control, Raw Material Recovery and Mass Save.
For more information, follow the Leominster Health Department on Facebook, visit www.leominster-ma.gov, or call 978-962-3558 or 978-962-3563.