The Select Board is forming a Harvard Climate Initiative Committee. In accordance with the Climate Resolution (Article 18 of the October 16, 2021 Town Meeting), submitted by the Climate Resiliency Working Group and the Energy Advisory Committee and passed by Town Meeting, the Select Board endorses the need to address climate issues and takes the following action to start that process. The Harvard Select Board, in an effort to establish the means by which this resolution will be achieved hereby creates the Harvard Climate Initiative Committee (HCIC) and affirms that this group will be responsible for the following:
- Creating a baseline, to be approved by the Select Board, by which the Town can track its actions and determine where it needs to do additional work;
- Assist the Board and Town in developing a Climate Action Plan that will help guide the Town in assisting the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in meeting greenhouse gas emissions goals by 2050;
- Develop an environmental assessment process, with input from Departments, Boards, and Committees, to be discussed and approved by the Select Board, for Departments, Boards, and Committees to use in evaluating and mitigating the potential negative impacts of climate change associated with purchases, public projects, planning processes, and policies;
- Work with Departments, Boards, and Committees to recommend changes to Town practices, policies, and procedures in order to mitigate and/or adapt to the impacts of climate change;
- Provide guidance for entities seeking input on climate initiatives they wish to undertake.
- Identify private, State, and Federal funding sources that could be used to support proposed climate initiatives programs;
- Provide a means through which the Town can coordinate the work of Town boards, committees, commissions, and other entities to plan and respond to climate change issues
- Provide semi-annual updates to the Select Board on the Committee’s activities to accomplish the climate goals and initiatives;
- Annually evaluate the success of this initiative and make recommendations for needed changes.
To advise all town boards, departments and institutions on a full range of ways to reduce their impact on climate change, to adapt to the effects of climate change and to improve processes through which the Town can act in meaningful ways to achieve its climate goals. The committee will focus its efforts on a wide range of climate initiatives that will have an impact on built
environment, vehicles, equipment, land use, and natural resources.
If you have any interest or expertise in this area please consider completing a volunteer form to be considered for appointment: https://harvard.seamlessdocs.com/f/volunteerform