Town of Ayer
Water and Sewer Superintendent
Water and Wastewater Divisions
Ayer Department of Public Works
POSTED: May 21, 2021 through June 18, 2021
The Town of Ayer, Massachusetts is seeking a self-motivated, highly qualified applicant for the new position of Water and Sewer Superintendent to report to the Director of Public Works. The Water & Sewer Superintendent plans, trains, directs and administers the technical, operational and maintenance work for the Town’s water and sewer systems. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, managing and scheduling 11 staff members, overseeing operations and capital budgets, capital project planning and oversight, MassDEP/EPA reporting, and providing excellent customer service.The Ayer water and sewer systems include:
- 3300 water and sewer customers including several large food service industries
- 50 miles of water main and 38 miles of sewer pipe
- 5 groundwater wells
- 2 water treatment plants, for iron, manganese and PFAS removal
- 2 water storage tanks
- 19 wastewater pumping stations
- 1.8 MGD tertiary wastewater treatment plant
The ideal candidate will hold the following qualifications:
- 5 years of related experience in water systems and sanitary sewers, and related maintenance and construction work including 2 to 3 years of supervisory experience, or equivalent.
- BS in Engineering, Environmental Science, or related field preferred.
- Must possess a D2 and T2 Massachusetts Drinking Water Licenses.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) is highly desirable.
- Possession of a Wastewater Treatment 4M is desirable.
- Possession of a Sewer Collection System Certification is desirable.
- Working knowledge of computer software applications.
- Available and able to respond to emergency calls on a 24 hour basis.
- Experience with of public works related software, spreadsheets and word processing.
- Valid driver’s license.
The full salary range for this position in Fiscal Year 2022 is $85,000 to $108,000 depending on qualifications.
Please submit a resume and cover letter and completed application form in a single PDF document to email@example.com. Please put “Water & Sewer Superintendent” in the subject line. Direct questions to Mark Wetzel, P.E. 978-772-8240. The Town of Ayer is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applications must be received by June 18, 2021.