Location: Ayer, MA Department: Operations
The Product Development Team supports the medical nutrition business by developing new and revising existing product formulations to meet target characteristics that will deliver positive patient outcomes through therapeutic nutrition. Strong collaboration with the Directors of Medical Nutrition, Marketing, and Sales will be required to ensure desired nutritional levels are achieved, patient insights on flavor, texture, palatability are incorporated, and that claim positioning can be maintained throughout the product shelf-life. In this role, you will contribute to the development of marketing and launch plans based on development and manufacturing feasibility considerations and additionally, collaborate with Production and Quality teams to develop product specifications and maintain product target characteristics through development of commercial processes specific to the nutritional needs of the products.
This position is in the Corporate office in Ayer, MA.
- Utilize your exemplary food science and ingredient know-how to co-create and execute medical formula products against ACI’s strategic R&D roadmap to support the overall corporate strategy.
- Support the Leadership and Management teams with scientific support in the areas of product development, clinical development, product manufacturing and new ingredient compound / product initiatives.
- Research and help develop clinical evidence supporting existing and new products and ingredient compounds for use in commercial activities. Participate in conferences, clinician meetings and other forums to present ACI’s clinical evidence.
- Ensure existing and new products, processes or ingredient compounds have strong Intellectual Property protection thus providing ACI a sustained competitive advantage.
- Strong translational science background with experience in converting basic nutrition-science insights into consumable products.
- Expert scientific knowledge in the area of food science with emphasis on liquid product development, including interaction amongst ingredients and process techniques to ensure product stability, extend shelf life and create flavorful, nutritious products. Direct experience with aseptic processing / Tetra Pak® a plus.
- Overall business understanding including experience in business development and licensing contracts.
- Demonstrated Leadership capability with a focus on innovation to proactively and passionately drive product development.
Education & Skill Requirements
- Minimum BS in Food Science, nutrition, or related field; Master’s Degree preferred. PhD, PharmD a plus.
- 5+ years of experience in development of nutritional beverages and / or dry blends from concept to commercialization.
- 5+ years in basic and applied research and development preferably in small/mid-sized nutrition, food and/or biotech company. Experience with food/beverage formulation and manufacturing, nutritional modeling software, and/or sensory testing.
- Familiarity with FDA and EU a plus.
- Well versed with food safety requirements and regulations.
- An understanding of human nutrition and ability to review primary scientific literature.
- A strong ability to communicate basic science and technical challenges to non-technical audiences.
- A strong understanding of ingredient interactions in a food/beverage matrix throughout processing and shelf life.
- An ability to work in a fast paced, cross functional team environment.
- Excellent organizational skills, the ability to balance multiple projects, set priorities, and drive results.