About Worcester State University:
WORCESTER STATE UNIVERSITY is a vibrant public university located in the residential west side of Worcester, Massachusetts, the second largest city in New England and home to 38,000 college students at more than a dozen colleges and universities. Situated on a compact 58-acre campus, the University offers 50 undergraduate and graduate academic programs to more than 6,400 students annually. The Princeton Review ranks us as one of the 75 "Best Value" public colleges in the country, as well as a "Best in the Northeast" college.
TITLE: Office of Military Affairs & Veterans Services Director
DEPARTMENT: Student Affairs
SUPERVISOR: Associate Dean of Health/Wellness Student Affairs
SCHEDULE: September-May WED/THURS 8am- 4pm
HOURLY PAY RATE: $21.20/hr.
General Statement of Duties:
The Director of Military Affairs will provide support to military veterans and their families, both in undergraduate and graduate programs across all disciplines of the campus community. Serve as the primary campus contact for Veterans' who are enrolled or who are considering attending WSU. The Director of Military Affairs must have the ability to work well with a diverse group of individuals and to be perceptive and understanding of military/veterans' concerns. Job requires extreme sensitivity and appropriate handling of confidential information and a professional approach to all responsibilities as outlined below.
- Assist in the Recruitment and Retention of veterans' (both active and reserve) and their immediate families who are eligible for governmental educational benefits
- Assist in the development and implementation of awarding college credit for military service/training
- Assist veterans with their transitions to the college environment; including awareness and knowledge of such resources as Retention Academic Advising/Bursars'/Registrars/Financial Aid/Career Services/Student Accessibility Services/Residence Life/Student Activities/Athletics/Academic Tutoring
- Serve as the liaison to between the colleges of Worcester Consortium ROTC Programs/NROTC/Army ROTC/Air Force ROTC and Worcester State University
- Maintain relationships with Local/State/Federal Agencies and Officials that can assist our Military members within the greater community
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree required: MSW, M.Ed. Minimum of three years of Higher Education experience.
- Prior military experience at a minimum of six years and knowledge of military regulations and benefits required
- Strong interpersonal, communication, presentation, listening and counseling skills. Ability to maintain discretion in handling confidential information.
- Skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Access, FrontPage, Power Point, Word, and University's database systems (Datatel Colleague preferred).,and to accurately prepare and process records, requisitions and reports.
- Ability to interact with a very diverse group of faculty, students, staff, and school personnel.
- Ability to respond and work effectively and efficiently in a multi-tasking environment, with flexible hours to include some weekends
Worcester State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer which seeks to reflect the diversity of its community.
Applicants must apply online at worcester.interviewexchange.com. A representative from the department will contact individuals for interviews.