About Worcester State University:
WORCESTER STATE UNIVERSITY is a liberal arts and sciences university with a long tradition of academic excellence dating back to 1874, as well as an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks to reflect the diversity of its community. Our workforce is dedicated to academic quality, student-centered programming, engaged citizenship, open exchanges of ideas, diversity and inclusiveness, and civility and integrity. We are looking for job applicants who share these values and commitment to our students.
Worcester State is centrally located in Massachusetts, about an hour's drive from Boston, Springfield, and Providence, Rhode Island. Our 58-acre campus is nestled in the residential northwest side of Worcester--the second largest city in New England and home to 37,000 college students at more than a dozen colleges and universities. Over 6,000 of those students attend Worcester State--approximately 5,300 are undergraduates and 1,000 are graduate students. Learn more about us at worcester.edu/about.
OFFICIAL TITLE: Staff Associate, Supervisor of 3rd Shift Maintenance
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Director of Facilities Operations and Planning
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Supervises subordinate 3rd shift maintenance personnel
General Statement of Duties: The Staff Associate, Supervisor of 3rd Shift Maintenance is responsible for the oversight of all third shift maintenance personnel. The incumbent will provide leadership, training, and technical assistance to ensure the staff is efficient, knowledgeable and consistent in their work performance. They will engage services of vendors as needed for equipment repairs/purchases, training seminars and supplies and work with University constituents to provide resources for custodial services as needed.
(E) = Essential
- (E) Supervises, trains and provides technical assistance to employees engaged in daily custodial maintenance tasks and special projects. Schedules daily work routines as appropriate. Responsible for inspecting completed tasks to ensure satisfactory work has been performed and University cleaning standards have been met by staff.
- (E) Plans, develops and manages custodial maintenance tasks in accordance with seasonal calendar and University calendar to assure campus standards of appearance and safety are attained on a daily basis. Works with other University departments to coordinate seasonal work. Responsible for inspecting completed tasks to ensure satisfactory work has been performed.
- (E) Serves as first line supervisor with respect to all personnel matters for subordinate personnel. Assures that the policies of the University and the Facilities Department, as well as safety regulations are known and observed by Maintainer staff. Maintains all associated time, attendance, and other necessary personnel records. Performs or assists the Director with employee discipline and conduct employee performance appraisals.
- (E) Utilizes Department computerized work management system. Reviews all work orders to ensure information is complete. Reviews with staff to confirm that work is completed. Communicates with students and staff regarding status and schedules of open work orders. Updates work order system as needed.
- (E) Schedules and oversees outside vendors. Monitors contractors while on campus and reviews work for quality and completeness. Schedules outside vendors to assist in the cleaning and maintenance of the buildings.
- (E) Maintains documentation as required for the University's environmental and safety programs.
- (E) Creates and maintains computer-based spreadsheets as required
- (E) Consults with vendors and others to recommend and obtain appropriate materials, supplies and equipment.
- (E) Serves as essential personnel during university emergencies, including winter conditions. Works with Director in coordinating Maintainer staffing during weather events and campus emergencies.
- (E) Responsible for training, or arranging for training, for staff in proper workplace procedures, use of materials, equipment, and safety procedures.
- (E) Evaluates effectiveness of staff response and determines adjustments to workforce assignments; assists in the recruitment and selection of qualified staff.
- (E) Demonstrates moral, civil and professional behavior, worthy of emulation by other staff and students.
- (E) Responsible for contributing to the WSU Strategic Plan.
- (E) Responsible for contributing to Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action objectives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of five years' experience in supervising custodial/maintenance staff, preferably in a school, university, industrial or large service facility, preferably in a union environment.
- Considerable knowledge of the building custodial work including the care and operation of tools and equipment used.
- Knowledge of state and federal safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to plan, organize, and supervise the work of custodians and outside contractors.
- Ability to understand and follow complex written and oral instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all constituencies of the University in written and oral fashion.
- Proficiency with use of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Ability to motivate subordinates.
- Ability to ambulate safely across campus, stand for extended periods of time, lift up to 40 pounds, climb ladders, work in hot and cold temperatures and report to work in emergent situations as needed.
- Ability to perform above-stated duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Valid driver's license.
Worcester State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer which seeks to reflect the diversity of its community.
The firm annual salary range for this full-time, benefited APA position is: $55,000 - $65,000.
All applicants must apply online at worcester.interviewexchange.com
Expected documents for submission include a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information. Applicants must complete the National Student Clearinghouse Authorization form or submit the official transcript of highest degree.
All information that can be uploaded to one's e-account should be done so by the applicant; information which cannot may be faxed to 508-929-8169 or emailed to email@example.com, or may be sent to the following address:
Executive Director, Chief Human Resources Officer
Worcester State University
486 Chandler Street
Worcester, MA 01602-2597