MassDevelopment is accepting applications for the position of Maintenance Specialist I in the Devens Department of Public Works.
Located in north-central Massachusetts and managed by MassDevelopment, Devens is home to more than 400 residents and a varied mix of businesses, government organizations, and nonprofits employing more than 5,000 people. Created by statute in 1993 to support business growth and attract economic development opportunities in the region, the 4,400-acre site features fast-track permitting and other incentives for businesses. The former military installation is recognized today as a national model for sustainable military base redevelopment. Along with its business tenants, the Devens community also includes more than 2,100 acres of recreation and open space, private residences, schools, and a network of human and social services providers. For more information about Devens, please visit devenscommunity.com.
Under the general direction of the Director of Public Works & Foreman, the Maintenance Specialist I performs general maintenance specialist functions for Devens facilities, roads, grounds, utilities, and buildings, utilizing his or her skills in a specialized trade.
Responsibilities include performing all basic maintenance tasks required either as a primary or secondary member of the team. This would include, but is not limited to, working within the building trades, landscaping, road and sidewalk maintenance, tree work, trash and recycling, and event support; operation of heavy equipment, performing basic vehicle and equipment operational checks, maintenance, and repairs; completing work orders and responding to and providing immediate assistance for emergency system failures (water leak, power outage, heat, road conditions, etc.); and performing other duties as assigned by management.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 3-5 years proven experience in general facilities maintenance, roadways, snow maintenance, or any such combination
- 3-5 years experience with trees, shrubs, plants and grass, planting and maintenance of landscapes and irrigation, or any such combination.
- Valid Massachusetts Class B Commercial Vehicle Operators license with air brake endorsement, or ability to attain within 120 days.
- Valid Massachusetts Class 1C, 2B, Hoisting Engineers license, or ability to attain within 120 days.
- Applicator’s license preferred
- Must be able to walk extended periods and distances
- Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds
- Must be able to operate all vehicles and equipment within the Department of Public Works
- Must be able to proficiently use / operate all hand tools and power tools within the Department of Public Works
- Must be able to operate all grounds maintenance equipment within the Department of Public Works
- Must be able to work at heights using ladders, bucket trucks, etc.
- The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk, or hear.
- Must be able to operate a motor vehicle. Ability to walk on projects sites, which may include hilly terrain, debris, and overgrown vegetation.
- Must be able to operate office equipment.
- Must be able to occasionally reach above shoulder heights or lower than waist-level.
- Lift and/or move up to 25 pounds as required to file documents or store materials, set up or break down recreation field equipment and lawn and field maintenance equipment during the workday.
- Position requires working in a trade shop environment
- Position requires working in a wide variety of adverse weather conditions
- Position requires grass cutting, weeding, and maintaining all recreational fields and grass areas.
- The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger to handle or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus, distance vision, and color vision.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Kindly email resume and application to: firstname.lastname@example.org. This posting can close without notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer - MassDevelopment is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.