Title: Tech, Surgical - Certified (CST)
Department: Operating Room
Requisition #: 195180
Hours: Per Diem
Shift: Variable start and end time; 8 hour shifts. Includes on-call evenings, nights, weekends and holidays per dept rotation.
Posting Date: 10/01/2019
Location: Leominster Campus
Requires Cross Training in both Main OR and Labor & Delivery.
Requires On Call per department schedule.
HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital is part of the UMass Memorial Health Care system. Serving northern central Massachusetts, we are committed to improving the health of people through excellence in care and comprehensive health services. Promoting healthy lifestyle habits, we serve as a role model by having a tobacco and smoke free campus and hiring nicotine free employees. By exploring careers with us, you are committed to giving your best to our patients, our community and everyone working on our HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital Care Team. Whatever your career choice, know that at HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital you can make a difference.
Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse and surgeon the certified surgical technologist facilitates the safe and effective conduct of invasive surgical procedures, ensuring that the operating room environment is safe, that equipment functions properly, and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety. Surgical technologists possess expertise in the theory and application of sterile and aseptic technique and combine the knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures, and implementation tools and technologies to facilitate a physician's performance of invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures.
Job duties specific to Surgical Technologist:
- Demonstrates proficiency in the scrub role in all cases under the supervision of the Circulating RN.
- Maintains a safe, sterile environment in all aspects of the technologists’ role according to departmental policy and procedure.
- Anticipates needs for addition special equipment and supplies before the procedure and requests it from the circulating nurse.
- Sets up the back table and Mayo tray with instruments and supplies according to the procedure and surgeon preference card.
- Performs Surgical Count with Circulating RN according to HAH policy.
- Provides preoperative assistance in the organization of supplies, equipment and the Operating Room for each procedure assigned.
- Uses preference cards in preparing for current cases and in picking for cases booked the following day.
- Updates and maintains the surgical preference cards.
- Maintains the service inventories when assigned.
- Establishes and maintains sterile field for all surgical procedures.
- Applies knowledge of aseptic technique, homeostasis and surgical sequence on cases assigned.
- Responds in a calm, efficient manner in critical or emergency situations.
- Handles and sets surgical instruments in a safe manner.
- Reports broken, malfunctioning or missing equipment is reported to circulating nurse and/or OR materials coordinator.
- Performs skills and procedures specific to the role proficiently in accordance with departmental competencies and procedures.
- Initiates, completes and maintains records, documentation and departmental logs with accuracy and in a timely manner.
- Takes weekend, holiday or overnight call as required.
Job duties for all positions:
- Takes responsibility for ensuring that all work outcomes satisfy the Hospital Four Pillars: Finance, Quality, Service Excellence, and People.
- The individual must support the mission, vision, and goals of the Hospital and serve as a role model for the CARES- It Happens Here customer service initiative.
- Demonstrates excellent attendance and actively participates in a variety of meetings and training sessions as required.
- Demonstrates a friendly, responsive, service-minded attitude to all internal and external customers.
- Communicates ideas effectively. Shares information and keeps others properly informed. Gives, and is open to useful feedback.
- Adheres to the Hospital Code of Conduct and Behavior Standards and dress code.
- Complies with established environment of care/safety policies and procedures and all health and safety requirements.
- Maintains, and fosters, an organized, clean, safe work environment.
- Actively contributes to the development and application of process improvements.
- Maintains a collaborative, team relationship with peers and colleagues in order to effectively contribute to the group’s achievement of goals and to help foster a positive work environment.
- Demonstrates respect for the diversity of patient and employee populations. Supports and encourages diverse points of view, work and lifestyles.
- Practices cost containment and fiscal responsibility through the efficient use of supplies, equipment, time, etc.
- Performs a variety of related duties as assigned.
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Knowledge of surgical equipment and instrumentation function.
- Knowledge of aseptic technique, homeostasis and surgical sequence on cases assigned.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to read, write and speak clearly in English.
High school diploma or GED required. Successful completion of an accredited surgical technical program.
Prior OR experience as a Certified Surgical Technologist required.
Current Surgical Technologist Certification required.
An equivalent combination of education and experience which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed above may be substituted for the above education and experience requirements.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, ETC. :
Certification as a Surgical Technologist by the National Board of Surgical Technology & Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) required.
If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.