Members of the Nashoba Valley Chamber are provided the opportunity to post unlimited job openings at no fee. Click HERE to post your job or contact the Chamber office for assistance.
Non-members can post a job for a nominal fee. Contact the Chamber office for assistance.
Sign up for job alerts
Click HERE to be added to our monthly email of current job postings.
Everyone Is a Caregiver.
At UMass Memorial Health Care, Everyone is a Caregiver regardless of title. Exceptional patient care, academic excellence and leading-edge research make UMass Memorial the premier health care system of Central and Western Massachusetts, and a place where we can help you build the career you deserve. We are more than 14,000 employees, working together as one health care system. And everyone, in their own unique way, plays an important part, everyday.
Requisition #: 216179
Title: Financial Counselor
Department: Patient Access/Financial Clearance
Posting Date: August 5, 2021
Shift Length: 8
Location: UMass Memorial Health Care - University Campus
$3000 SIGN-ON OR REFERRAL BONUS
Requirements, cross campus coverage including Barre Health Center and evening outreach coverage. This coverage may be assigned last minute due to staffing levels. May be required to remain after shift ends to complete the application process with a patient. Must have own transportation as this position is a float and may cover many areas prior to a final assigned location.
Extensive face to face contact with patients. Extensive telephone contact with patient as government agencies to resolve health insurance coverage issues.
Demonstrates knowledge of various government Medical Assistance Programs, and mandatory Massachusetts Application Counselor certification within 3 months of hire.
Under the general direction of the Financial Counseling Supervisor/Manager and/or Financial Clearance Director, provides guidance and assistance to patients, various internal UMass staff, physician offices and third-party vendors regarding financial assistance programs.
The Financial Counselor is charged with the responsibility of interacting with patients, the community and outside agencies in a professional manner in keeping with the Mission and Vision of UMMHC
- Performs a variety of duties to ensure that reimbursement is obtained for medical services provided to the uninsured, and underinsured patient population.
- Interviews, screens, counsels and orients the appropriate patient population and members of the community, in a variety of settings on multiple campuses, regarding available financial assistance options.
- Processes all necessary paperwork and follow-up for appropriate programs according to state, federal and hospital regulations and policies.
- Obtains appropriate confidential and medical information to establish eligibility for various financial assistance programs.
- Facilitates patient understanding of health access options including but not limited to: eligibility rules, coverage types, products and plans available through MassHealth, the Health Connector, Medicaid Managed Care, and the Health Safety Net program.
- High School Graduate.
- Certified Application Counselor (CAC)certification required within 3 months of hire as a condition of employment.
- Associate or bachelor’s degree in Business, Social Services or related field.
- English speaking, reading and writing skills.
- Proficient data-entry skills with attention to detail. Effective communication and customer service skills both verbal and written.
- Ability to use specialized applications software and computers systems for patient registration and scheduling. Demonstrated knowledge of business office products and medical terminology.
- Holiday and/or weekend shift work, as well as after-hours coverage as required. Must provide own transportation.
- Ability to work in high volume, team-oriented environment. Ability to take directions and work independently.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in Healthcare, accounts receivable, or related field required with a Minimum of 2year of experience in Financial Counseling and/or Medical Billing.
- Bilingual speaking, reading.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Standards of Respect: