In partnership with the Head of School and other members of the school’s administration, the Director of Finance & Operations (DFO) plays a key institutional role in developing and executing strategy, and developing policies to ensure that the overall finance and operations of the school maximally supports the school’s mission and vision.
The DFO oversees all Finance and Operations matters including: budgeting, tuition assistance, expense control, asset allocation, financial reporting, accounting controls, cash management and banking relations, capital budgets, operational procedures, and risk management.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve on the school’s Senior Leadership Team;
- Collaborate with school leaders in Academics, Development, Marketing, and Admissions; attend Board meetings and serve on Board committees as appropriate and agreed upon with Head of School; participate in governance related matters as appropriate;
- Chair Safety Committee; and
- Lead change management initiatives that drive operational excellence by influencing and engaging others to implement or improve systems that enhance the parent, student, employee experience.
- Accounting Manager, Bookkeeper/HR Coordinator, Accounting Clerk, Office Manager/Medical Assistant, Food Services Director, and Facilities Director.
Financial Management and Risk
- Oversee the financial operations of the school to ensure the financial health of the school; develop short and long-term strategies regarding key drivers; oversee the financial reporting, internal control, policies and procedures development, collaborate in annual and multi-year operational budget planning, and manage the capital budget.
- Collaborate with Director of Admissions on Financial Aid matters to support enrollment.
- Oversee all banking activities and management of all Applewild cash and investment accounts and ensure adherence to the approved investment policies of the board;
- Ensure the safety of employees and students in their use of the facilities and to maintain appropriate levels of insurance to protect the property and to cover the liability of the school;
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions; and
- Act as liaison with legal counsel on all risk matters.
- Ensure school buildings and grounds are maintained to a high standard, remain compliant with all city and federal requirements, and systems inspections and annual maintenance programs are maintained;
- Work with head of school for planning short and long-term facility projects; and
- Ensure effective management of the food-service operation.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL SET
- Demonstrated leadership, organizational, strategic, and management skills along with outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability and patience to lead change and continuous improvement initiatives;
- Ability to work with a wide range of people—prospective and current students, parents, faculty, staff, vendors, donors;
- Excellent communication, planning, and interpersonal skills; ability to work collaboratively with colleagues;
- Ability to think creatively and strategically, have excellent judgment and be able to work in a changing environment;
- Has a sense of humor; is a good listener; open to learning from others;
- Ability to effectively lead others in managing relationships and interpersonal dynamics, navigate conflict well, and foster a positive work environment; possesses strong collaboration and team-oriented working and leadership skills;
- Possess excellent communication, listening, interpersonal skills; the willingness and ability to engage in difficult conversations with faculty, staff, students, and parents; ability to give timely feedback with the interest of growth and development;
- Able to decipher and contextualize large amounts of information and data;
- Possess strong computer skills including working knowledge of MS Office Suite;
- Fluent in English Language
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field required; MBA preferred. Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in a leadership role; non-profit experience a plus. Experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge preferred.
Please provide letter of interest and resume to email@example.com